FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
October 16, 2019
Media Contact: David Morgan
Phone: (575) 649-0754
New Mexico Department of Health Hosts Flu Shot Clinic in Hobbs.
High–Risk Residents Strongly Encouraged to Attend
SANTA FE, NM – The New Mexico Department of Health’s Hobbs Public Health Office, 1923 N. Dal Paso Suite B in Hobbs NM, will host a flu shot clinic every Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am-9:00 am. The annual flu vaccination is available for no charge for children and uninsured adults, while supplies last.
Those with Medicaid or other insurance who go to public health offices are asked to bring their insurance card.
Everyone six months of age and older should get a flu vaccine each flu season, especially people in the following groups because they are at high risk of having serious flu-related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu-related complications:
• Children 6 months through 4 years of age
• Pregnant women (any trimester)
• People age 50 and older
• People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions like asthma, diabetes, lung or heart disease, and those who are immunocompromised
• People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
• People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu
• American Indians and Alaskan Natives
• People who are morbidly obese
• Healthcare and early childhood personnel
People in these groups should also consider seeing their health care provider to be evaluated for antiviral medication if they develop flu symptoms.
The seasonal flu vaccine protects against the influenza viruses which are expected to be most common during the upcoming season. Vaccination remains the best protection against influenza.
Flu vaccines are offered in many locations, including doctor’s offices, hospitals and pharmacies, as well as by many employers and some schools. Public Health offices throughout the state have vaccines available for those without insurance.
For more information on the no-charge flu shot clinic, call the Hobbs Public Health Office at 575-397-2463..